Wednesday, May 28, 2008

More Potpourri

The other day I was at the gym, working out and watching Sportcenter on ESPN and during a commercial break I noticed a familiar face. At first I wasn't sure, but as the spot continued I was able to confirm it. Uber-Mormon celebrity Kirby Heyborne was in a new ad for a known product sold around the world - Miller Lite Beer. Say it ain't so Kirby, how could you? You would think the pathway to worldly fame would be baby steps to the alcoholic beverage. Instead of going straight to the hard stuff - the progression would have been Sprite, Caffeine-free Diet Coke, Diet Coke, Coke, and then, if he got a little bolder, maybe Pepsi Max. The funny thing was - he really looked out of place. Oddly enough, this isn't mentioned on his website. In other Celebrity Mormon news, did anyone catch the contestant on Next Food Network Star wearing the BYU t-shirt. I did. Check out her bio.


On Saturday,while Lisa was on the other side of the globe, I was at the Crealde School of Art's annual Day of Workshops. I have taken a couple of photography classes there and every year this annual fundraiser brings in a bunch of professionals and extremely talented amateurs to talk shop. During lunch I was able to meet and chat a bunch with Bob Michaels. Bob's work in currently on display at Crealde. A really down to earth guy who does a fantastic job portraying the social landscape. His current exhibition focuses on the community of South Apopka - a suburb of Orlando. The above photo is from a series of photos taken at Daytona Beach. The two below are form the South Apopka series. His Trailer City photo essay is pretty good as well. Check out his website.

In "way to go" Alma mater news - Northwestern Women's Lacrosse won their 4th NCAA Championship.
The definite "face of determination." Hilary Bowen is not someone I want to see walking down a dark alley with a stick and a face mask.
That's right - our football team stinks, but we got Women's Lacrosse!

Sonics, who? I have to admit, Sounders FC is probably the one thing I am really going to miss now that we live in Orlando. Of course, after family, friends, and Red Mill Burgers. Let me be the first one to jump on the "Bring Brian McBride to Seattle" bandwagon. Brian has decided to relinquish his captain's armband at Fulham in the English Premiere League.
And finally, I agree, someone has been chatting it up with Hugo Chavez. And if we play our cards right - we may be able to get cell phones in the US.

6 Comments:

Blogger kaitlin said...

haha really?
come on kirby!

1:14 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Kirby, Kirby, Kirby. Maybe we should send Hilary Bowen to knock some sense into him. Intense!

7:45 PM  
Blogger monica said...

wait so that guy you talked with is he a photographer then? and are those his black and white photos or yours??

4:53 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I saw that commercial, too!

I've been trying to find it on YouTube but efforts have been fruitless. Your blog came up when I tried to google it.

This doesn't scandalize me as much as if it were say, Mitt Romney or Donny Osmond. Or a General Authority.

However, my eyebrows are officially raised.

5:29 PM  
Blogger jacob said...

Monica - those are his photos. Click on his link.

10:13 PM  
Blogger airtrent said...

Kirby sucks!

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home