Sunday, February 03, 2008

Tanzania


As Lisa and I have been getting ready for our trip to Tanzania, there have been several different websites that I have been using as references. I have decided to list some of them that have been pretty helpful.

  • This is the safari we are going on with a company called Victoria Expeditions in Western Tanzania (Arusha) - see the map. We are going the budget route - think tents, jungle, and Survivor Africa.
  • Here is a blog by a Danish woman living in Dar Es Salaam. I came across her blog while looking up Tinga Tinga art.
  • If you have 48-hours in Dar - here is the link for you. I'll have 72- hours and the Lonely Planet book I have has a pretty good walking tour around the capital.
  • If you are scratching your head trying to figure where Tanzania is - here is a great place to start.
  • Some definite souvenirs to bring home - Tinga Tinga Art.
  • This is a portion of an independent documentary about the famous carved doors of Zanzibar. It is really interesting.
  • One of the exciting elements of traveling to the developing world is the amount of vaccinations one should have prior to leaving. Luckily I got most of them when I went to Vietnam in 2006. Typhoid is one of them. Very interesting side-effects. But, if I was to get Typhoid - there is a pretty impressive list of famous "victims."

We are really excited about the trip and plan on taking a bunch of photos that I will definitely be posting.

5 Comments:

Blogger John and Drew said...

Have fun!!! Be safe.

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've known of people who went to Africa. Our bishop served a mission in South Africa. Colin Fletcher hiked the Rift Valley Province of Kenya. He wrote about tsetse flies and lantern wicks. Now I'll be able to hear the stories from THE SAFARI Jacob and Lisa went on. Too cool.

3:18 AM  
Blogger jrm said...

ok, so when did Joseph Smith die of typhoid? Was that before or after he was shot and killed at Carthage jail? (Wikipedia uses the word "succombed.")

have fun in africa. post some updates man! and what are testes flies???

4:57 PM  
Blogger jrm said...

its ok now, i just edited the page, set them straight. my first edit on wikipedia. this is a proud day for me: edited wikipedia, and caucused for hillary.

5:14 PM  
Blogger ewesa said...

re: Tinga Tinga art- my vote is for "Bird on Zebra"!

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home