Monday, March 02, 2009

BOAR 2009

Several years go I became really interested in participating in adventure sports - mountain biking, trail running, adventure racing. Not as a competitor, but as a spectator. Becoming a spectator at these types of events would allow me to combine some of my favorite things - the outdoors, competition, and photography. Several months ago, I got an email from my favorite outdoor store here in Orlando advertising an adventure race put on by Pangea Adventure Racing. The outdoor store, Travel Country, is the main sponsor of all of their events.

For those that don't know what adventure racing is, it combines the 3 elements of running, mountain biking, and paddling. It is usually done in teams and is measured in hours instead of distance. In May, there will be a 72-hour race from the east coast of Florida to the west coast. The race involves checkpoints rather than just a start and a finish. In order to complete the race and get the maximum number of points, it is necessary to hit all the checkpoints and not lose one's punch card. There is also the element of orienteering. All participants are given a map and they must navigate the quickest route to each checkpoint.

So, back to the email. I go this email advertising a race and a point series here in Central Florida and I thought I might as well check it out. This race on Saturday was the BOAR (Best Orlando Adventure Race) , with the Elite Series being 6 hours and the Sport only 3. It was held out in Christmas, about 30 miles from where we live on a wetlands park designated for trail running and mountain biking. Add the lake in the middle and you have yourself a formula for fun. Shortly after I got there, I met Mark Miller, a photographer who has been shooting adventure races in Central Florida for the last 5 years. He was very informative, and didn't care that I was invading his turf. He let me hang out with him throughout the entire race. His photos of the BOAR can be found here. I am definitely looking forward to the next race in April. This will be a 30 hour race for the Elite racers, with the race going all night into the next day. I have more photos posted here.










You will notice that most photos during the paddle section that the racers are portaging their boats - the water was so shallow it was almost impossible to paddle. It was faster to just pull the boats.






2 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Hey Jacob and Lisa! Totally unrelated, but I am headed to Boca Raton for Spring Break and also may be headed to the Orlando temple soon for unspecified reasons...;) Can I PLEASE have your email/# so we can catch up and communicate?! =)

5:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great Blog! I have thre older sister. You capture great images!
Mark

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home