Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas in Florida

Not only has this been our first Christmas in Florida, but it is our first Christmas as an old married couple. And since both of our families are on the other side of the country, we really wanted to establish some of our own traditions - beyond decorating a kitchen chair. And looking back, I thought we did a really good job. For the longest time I have wanted to make homemade tamales on Christmas, so I figured, why not start now. And in this month's Cooking Light, there was a recipe for Beef Tamales - I took it as a sign. But, I modified the recipe a bit and made grilled chipotle chicken tamales and spinach and jack cheese tamales. The spinach tamales were real good, and Lisa said the chicken tamales were also tasty.





Surveying the damage done. We made way too many tamales for just the two of us. Seriously, we will being eating them for a week.
No fiesta is complete without some traditional postres. Lisa and I became addicted to these while in Mexico on our honeymoon. We went to the mercado to get the corn husks for the tamales and they had a case full of these - we couldn't resist.
Lisa's gift from me - new luggage. If you have seen her old luggage, you'll know this was sorely needed.
Unfortunately the box did not contain Hot Pockets. Alicia, why did you trick us so? Check out the link.
Boo loves his present from my parents. Just like a little kid - he would rather play with the box then the item in the box.
Lisa totally surprised me with a Canon XTi. Monica and Dad - don't be jealous. I also got the telephoto lens.
Boo impatiently waiting for the stuffed french toast.
I have a problem - I sometimes obsess about food I am going to be making. Breakfast yesterday, was no different. I had been planning it out in my mind for weeks. Stuffed french toast (with cream cheese and apricot jam), roasted potatoes & sweet potatoes, and scrambled egges with salsa & cheese. It lived up to expectations. It was so good.

Stephanie - notice the mug Lisa is using.
Our second "new" tradition of the holiday catching some movies we have really wanted to see. This isn't really a new tradition, because both of us have gone to movies on Christmas before. Sometime you should ask me about seeing Titanic on Christmas Day (I won't divulge any names). This year Lisa and I saw Juno and Enchanted. Juno was OK and Enchanted was real good. Juno just didn't turn out like I had expected it to. It was a pretty serious movie. Granted there were a lot of funny lines and scenes - especially when Juno tells her parents she is pregant. I was laughing pretty hard.

And finally, our third new Christmas Day tradition. When in Florida, do as the Floridians. Lisa made some homemade Key Lime Pie.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. James Quigley said...

1. I have already seen that hot pocket link. Funny.
2. But, didn't you like what was in the box? At least you can enjoy it.
3. Your menu obsession is just like Dad!
4. When I come I would like homemade key lime pie, please.

Happy New Year.

1:22 PM  
Blogger stephanie said...

1. your christmas looks fun!
2. i like your new leaning shelf - and the stockings you hung from them
3. same comment as alicia abt you being just like dad. nat said that he called her up after he planned the menu for the few days surrounding christmas, all excited tell her all about it.
4. stuffed french toast!? yum!
5. i like seeing the mug i gave being put to good use!
6. we missed you.

8:06 PM  
Blogger John and Drew said...

Mmm... I've heard of people doing the Mexican theme for Christmas... what a blast to start new traditions!!! I can't wait to try the Key Lime Pie myself.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Alicia--Yes, we LOVE your fantastic gift. Thank you very much. And, yes, when you come I will make you homemade key lime pie...can't wait!

Steph--we missed you all as well...

John & Drew--we'll have some pie waiting for when you come. The door is always open :)

10:40 AM  
Blogger monica said...

looks like you had a tasty fun christmas! thanks for the present!

1:00 AM  
Blogger Natalie said...

The Hotpocket link had Mark and I snorting as we laughed. I also want to try the keylime pie, is there any way to send it? Just kidding. I am glad you both had a wonderful Christmas,it looked really yummy! Thanks for the gifts! We miss you!

5:37 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Hey, I feel like I'm imposing seeing as this is all family comments. Just thought I'd let you know I've been "blog stalking" (as Alicia calls it) for a while now and I just emailed Alicia to get your email to invite you guys to my blog. I want to keep in touch! Your Christmas looks yummy!!! I think you should post your recipes.
Heidi

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home